A short while ago I took delivery of yet another pond yacht in need of some serious TLC. The yacht would require quite a lot of work to bring her back to her former glory, as always the first job was to photograph in detail as much as possible the damaged areas and positions of the fittings etc as most of these would have to be replaced. Firstly I removed all the sails and mast and placed them to one side for later, then I removed the damaged fittings and deck detail so work could commence on replacing the rear deck section. This was done by cutting through the edge of the damaged area so a new section could then be very carefully put into position before sanding down and staining to match the rest of the deck area, with the rear deck now replaced I could move onto replacing the deck edging strip using flexible beech. Once this had been replaced I could then stain and varnish to finish using Admiralty paints which gave a very authentic perfect finish.
With the major work now complete on the deck area I could move onto sorting out the deck fittings to include replacing some of the screweyes with new ones made by Aeronaut, and then the serious job of re-painting the hull could begin. The first job would be the removal of all of the existing paint which certainly required quite a lot of work and once completed the entire hull was then skimmed with filler and then rubbed down until perfectly smooth prior to priming. Once several coats of primer had been applied and carefully wet and dried down using fine grade paper the first of three coats of paint could be applied prior to final finishing thus producing a perfect finish, the final task would be to add the white line on the hull using Becc standard colour narrow vinyl lining sheet. The paint used on this restoration was a specially made Pantone colour (Greek Blue).
Now that the hull is complete I could move onto repairing the mast and sorting out the rigging, the mast proved straight forward enough to repair and detail. The next job was to make some new sails and attach them after carefully re-attaching the mast rings and all the other mast fittings. Once the sails had been re-attached the mast could be fitted into its mast base along with fixing the Bowsprit back into position, this was then followed by re-rigging the entire model using Caldercraft model ship rigging thread in various sizes thus completing this restoration.
Overall this proved to be a very rewarding restoration enhanced by the final colour choice on the hull.