Back in the early summer I took delivery of two yachts in need of restoration one of which was certainly the smallest yacht I have had to restore to date. The remit for the larger of the two yachts was a general clean-up of the deck and hull whilst maintaining the aged look (always a challenge) plus some minor repairs as well as sorting out the rigging to bring the model back to her former glory. First of all I decided to clean up the deck area and sort out some of the fittings which was then varnished to enhance the end result, the next task was then to very gently clean the hull itself bearing in mind the original remit from the customer before re-varnishing. Now the hull had been finished I could move onto the rigging on this working model, at the request of the customer the original sails were kept for authenticity. This as you would expect this proved to be fiddly but after a while and some testing everything was re-rigged and ready to go.
With the larger of the two yachts now complete I could move onto the smaller of the two which certainly required some TLC. The first task was to remove the very sad looking sails and replace them with some new handmade ones that certainly threw up some challenges with the intricate stitching but in the end turned out very nicely. The sails could now be put to one side for now so I could concentrate on the hull repairs that involved some repairs to the rear cockpit area as well as the deck edges in one or two places. Once the repairs had been completed the hull could be re-varnished to finish followed by re-attaching the new sails and the rigging thus completing the models restoration.
This double restoration certainly offered up a few challenges on the way but in the end proved very rewarding.